SciVal Experts FAQ
What is SciVal Experts?
SciVal® Experts is an expertise profiling and research networking tool that makes it easy for researchers, administrators, managers and senior leadership to find experts and enable collaboration within your institution and across organizations. Powered by the Elsevier Fingerprint Engine™, SciVal Experts scans and analyzes every publication in the Scopus® database, as well as additional content provided by the institution, creating Fingerprints of individual researcher's expertise and exposing connections among authors. Researchers can enter additional data to paint a more comprehensive picture of their distinctive expertise, or administrators can enter data on researchers' behalf. Profiles are automatically updated and manually reviewed by Elsevier on an ongoing basis, ensuring they are precise, comprehensive and up-to-date.
Who can benefit from SciVal Experts within my institution?
SciVal Experts is a valuable resource for personnel throughout your institution, including:
- Find collaborators for funding opportunities and research projects
- Publicize their expertise and increase their visibility across the research community
- Track their list of publications and review other researchers’ output
Research Administrators, Managers and Research Development Professionals
- Understand the expertise of researchers in the organization and fulfill requests for experts
- Route funding opportunities to researchers, form research teams and find reviewers for internal grants
- Track network connections within and across departments and onboard new faculty
Deans and Department Heads
- Understand the expertise of researchers in the organization and channel requests for experts
- Track output within and across departments
- Identify organizational strengths and understand productivity across departments
- Demonstrate institutional expertise across the research community, industry and the public
- Help researchers find collaborators and assist faculty in preparing their promotion & tenure dossiers
- Track journals in which researchers are publishing
- Find mentors and understand their expertise
- Identify new journals and articles to read
- Find experts to comment on news items
- Identify new articles and grants to promote
Human Resources Staff
- Showcase researchers’ expertise to the research community
- Connect researchers to one another
- Match researchers to donors
Can additional data sets be added to the profiles?
Yes, Elsevier can integrate institutional content such as grants, patents and HR data. Individual researchers or proxy users can enter additional content such as books, creative works, awards and honors.
What data must we provide in order for SciVal Experts to be implemented?
You only need to provide the first name, last name and department(s) of each researcher at your institution. Additional data, such as email addresses, educational degrees and room number, will allow for more detailed profiles. You will be asked to input the metadata into a spreadsheet provided by Elsevier.
Do we need to purchase any hardware to implement SciVal Experts?
No, SciVal Experts doesn’t require you to purchase any hardware.
Can we export SciVal Experts data and use it for other purposes?
Yes, once SciVal Experts is launched, users at your institution can access the manually refined Scopus publication data in the system via web services and data downloads, and use it for internal analysis and to populate other systems under the terms of the contract.
How accurate are the profiles within SciVal Experts?
Profiles within SciVal Experts are the most accurate in the industry. No method is perfect, but our approach, which is a combination of computer matching and manual linking, gives the most precise profiles with the minimum effort on the institution’s part. Elsevier disambiguates author names and manually reviews the profiles, ensuring publications are associated to the correct author and the profiles are reliable, complete and current. Profiles are automatically updated once a week and manually reviewed quarterly. Users can also have their content modified upon request.
Are changes to the profiles reflected in Scopus?
Yes, any changes made to your institution’s profiles during the manual review process will be applied to Scopus.com.