Pure facilitates an evidence-based approach to your institution’s research strategy, assessment exercises and day-to-day business decisions.
Research information is often fragmented across various systems and spreadsheets within an institution. This leads to administrative overhead, inconsistent and incomplete data and unreliable reports, all of which adversely affect business decisions.
Pure aggregates your organization’s research information from numerous internal and external sources, and ensures the data that drives your strategic decisions is trusted, comprehensive and accessible in real time. A highly versatile system, Pure enables your organization to build reports, carry out performance assessments, manage researcher profiles and more, all while reducing administrative burden for researchers, faculty and staff.
Comprehensive research information management
Pure combines your institution's internal systems such as your HR, student administration, finance and award management systems, along with a variety of external data sources plus any legacy data into a single platform. An advanced enterprise-wide system, Pure validates the information through workflows that support your existing business processes. Researchers, administrators and delegates enter supplemental data just once and personnel throughout the organization use the information in Pure for a wide range of purposes.
Capture data across the world of research
Pure delivers your institution an all-inclusive view of researchers' activities and accomplishments. The content types in Pure, shown below, are highly interconnected so a user can identify a person through related outputs, activities, projects, funding and more. These relationships allow your institution to report across all content in the system without limitations.
|Funding opportunities||Research outputs||Impacts|
Manage research outputs easily
Pure searches the following external data sources to identify outputs associated with researchers at your institution. Pure retrieves the metadata automatically, saving researchers time and effort.
|Web of Science*||arXiv||CAB Abstracts|
|PubMed||Worldcat®*||SAO/NASA Astrophysics Data System|
* Subject to data subscriptions
Pure helps research managers at your institution
- Create and distribute reports to analyze the performance of researchers, teams, departments or custom-made groups
- Set targets using customizable performance indicators and track progress through advanced, customizable dashboards
- Track, monitor and manage the entire research grant life cycle, from funding opportunities, applications and their success rates, to awards and related projects
- View high-level summaries and analyses and drill down to person, organizational unit or project level
Support national research assessment exercises including:
- UK: Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
- Denmark: Bibliometric Research Indicator (BFI) initiative
- Australia: Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA)*
- Netherlands: Standard Evaluation Protocol*
* Support in development
Pure helps researchers at your institution
- Easily manage their profiles through automatic publication retrieval
- Create personalized CVs and export them as a .docx or .pdf
- Enhance the visibility of their profiles to the research community, government agencies, industry, media and the public by automatically publishing their activities and achievements online
- Provide information for reports to ensure reporting is based on current and complete data
- Automatically populate the institution's institutional repository (DSpace, ePrints, FEDORA and Equella) with the information they provide in their profiles
Pure helps librarians at your institution
- Assure high data quality within Pure by managing Pure's workflows
- Assist with keeping researchers' publication histories current by managing automated scans of multiple online publication sources and easily merging duplicate records
- Increase the visibility of the content in Pure by integrating it with the library systems
- Heighten awareness of Open Access publications available within Pure through the Sherpa RoMEO API
How it works
Pure consists of a core which is required for all of the basic user functionality. Institutions have the option to purchase any or all of the following additional modules:
|PurePortal||A framework to exhibit selected content on your institutional web pages|
|Award Management||Track and monitor the entire research grant life cycle, from current funding opportunities, applications and their success rates, to awards and related projects|
|Bibliometrics||Facilitates import and processing of citation data, impact factors and other metrics and ratings from Scopus, Web of Science or other sources|
|CV||Allows researchers to create multiple CVs for different purposes|
|Press Clippings||Highlight achievements publicized in media outlets by adding clippings to Pure|
|REF2014||Save time and increase your institution's award success by making full returns for the REF 2014 and testing full return scenarios (UK only)|
|Reports||Users can create new reports or modify existing ones|
|Research Intelligence||Set targets using customizable performance indicators and track progress through advanced, customizable dashboards|
Support during and after your implementation
A specialized implementation team works closely with each institution to ensure a smooth deployment of Pure. After initial onsite meetings, bi-weekly online meetings are arranged to keep the project on track, and Elsevier’s support staff provides you with post-implementation assistance. Support from peer institutions is also available through Pure user groups, which meet on a regular basis.
Within Pure, administrators can grant users access to the system based on their role within the institution or the faculty or school to which they belong, ensuring that users are only able to view, edit and report on the content relevant to them. Researchers and other users with sufficient rights can also mark content as confidential, making it visible only to the users that are associated with the content, as well as relevant editors and senior administrators.
"The intuitive and well-designed user-interface has had excellent feedback from our regular academic users of Pure."
Research Strategy and Policy Officer
University of York, UK