SciVal® Spotlight enables your institution or country to evaluate its research performance, and establish and execute its research strategy.
Providing an integrated and interdisciplinary view of unique research strengths and vulnerabilities, SciVal Spotlight helps provide answers to questions such as:
- What are the research strengths of my institution, country, or competitors?
- Do my peers or competing institutions have research strengths in our areas of expertise?
- Are we aware of our emerging research strengths for future capitalization?
- Which researchers should we consider recruiting, and which should we be sure to retain?
- Who are our existing and potential collaborators worldwide?
- How can we make informed decisions to allocate limited internal funding?
Evaluate your institution's research output in a single online interface
- Provide a quick understanding of where your institution or country has unique research strengths to identify competitive advantages, threats, and opportunities
- Identify multidisciplinary strengths to determine areas for further investment
- Distinguish your standing relative to the competition across a multitude of research driven areas of focus
- Gain in-depth insights into each of your identified strengths
Access an executive summary of your research strengths
- Explore research topics with an "at a glance" executive overview
- Measure your institution’s performance against your peers’ through an easy comparison of your research strengths
- Understand research trends in your institution, country and region to establish your research strategy
Define and execute your research strategy by assessing your standing relative to the competition
- Identify specific areas of research excellence and emerging strengths
- Understand where you have been gaining or losing ground over time
- Find rapidly emerging areas of research and possible areas for further investment
- Pinpoint new leadership opportunities
- Identify research strengths where competition is now increasing
Explore current and new opportunities to collaborate to capitalize on existing strengths
- Identify your research collaborations with other institutions around the globe
- Execute your research strategy by assessing existing and potential collaborators
- Facilitate opportunities for new partnerships by identifying competencies and authors at peer institutions
How it works
Based on co-citation analysis and an innovative visualization technique, SciVal Spotlight provides you with new insights into your institution's or country's research performance, categorized as distinctive and emerging competencies, which could not always be detected using the traditional evaluation methods. Rather than showing journal-based subject classifications, SciVal Spotlight creates a map using a bottom-up approach to identify highly specific research topics across scientific fields and provides insights into newly emerging interdisciplinary areas. In addition, you can explore research strengths of peer or competing institutions by purchasing their maps.
To ensure that your map represents the broadest coverage of research output, SciVal Spotlight relies upon Elsevier's Scopus® as the underlying data source. Covering contents from over 20,500 titles, Scopus is the world's largest abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed research literature.